Adopted: April 4, 1969
40-2. powers and Duties.
- The said Police commission shall appoint such police officers, constables and superior officers as it may, in its judgment, deem necessary and fix their compensation.
- Said Commissioners shall have full authority to make and enforce all rules and regulations for the government of the police force in the Town of Conway.
- Said Commissioners shall have authority to remove any officer at any time for just cause and after due hearing, which cause shall be specified in the order of removal, except that special police officers appointed and designated as such shall serve at the pleasure of the Commission.
"Shall the provisions of an act entitled 'An Act Establishing a Police Commission for the Town of Conway' be adopted?"
Beneath this question shall be printed the word "yes" and the word "no," with a square immediately opposite each such word in which the voter may indicate his choice. If a majority of those present and voting on the question vote in the affirmative on this question, this chapter shall be declared to have been adopted. If a special meeting is called for the consideration of the adoption of this chapter, the Town Clerk shall prepare a special ballot on which shall appear the foregoing question.
If the chapter in question is adopted at such a special meeting, another special meeting may be called for the election of the Police commissioners. In such a case,
- one (1) Police Commissioner shall be elected for a term to expire the next annual meeting in March 1970,
- one (1) shall be elected for a term to expire in March 1971 and
- one (1) shall be elected for a term to expire in March 1972.
If the chapter is adopted at the March 1970 meeting, a special town meeting may be called for the election of Commissioners here-under, and the terms of office of the first Commissioners elected there-under shall expire in March 1971, March 1972 and March 1973.