Most Recently Revised: May 11, 1999 - [Approved by Board of Selectmen 8/50]
Every motor vehicle that uses the streets of Conway with the base of operation therein for the purpose of carrying passengers for hire, except buses and motor vehicles used at funerals, weddings and public parades, shall be deemed to be a taxicab and must be licensed in the Town of Conway under this chapter.
137-2. License required; issuance.
- No taxicab shall be operated for hire in said town until the owner or person controlling the same shall have obtained a license therefor.
- The Town Clerk shall issue such license upon application of any person in the manner hereinafter prescribed.
- All licenses so issued shall bear the signature of the duly appointed Chief of Police.
137-3. Application for license; fees; expiration; transferability; inspection
- Applications for taxicab licenses under the chapter shall be made upon forms approved by the Chief of Police and provided by the Town Clerk, who shall keep a record of all applications and licenses granted. All information required by said form shall be completely furnished by the applicant, and all licenses shall be numbered in the order granted.
- The annual fee for each taxicab license granted hereunder shall be twenty-five dollars ($25) for one (I) vehicle and fifteen dollars ($15) for each additional vehicle licensed within one (I) year thereafter by the same person. Said fee shall be paid to the Town Clerk at the time such license is issued. Each such license shall expire August 31 of each year.
- No license shall be sold, assigned or transferred.
- Every license granted hereunder shall apply only to the particular taxicab designated the vehicle identification number.
- All vehicles licensed under this chapter must meet state and town inspections.
137-4. Operator's license required; transferability; term; fee.
A. No person shall operate a licensed taxicab without first obtaining from the Town Clerk a license to operate licensed taxicabs, which may be granted when approved by the Chief of Police, B, This license is nontransferable and void one (1) year from the date of issuance, Said license fee shall be one dollar ($1).
137-5. Insurance required.
Every applicant for a permit to operate a taxicab shall file with the Town Clerk before the permit is issued, a policy or certificate of liability insurance covering the period of permit, and for each taxicab for which permit is sought. The policy or certificate of liability insurance shall be issued by a company authorized to do business in the State ofNew Hampshire, indemnifying the applicant in the sum of at least five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) per person injury; five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) per occurrence and one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) per occurrence for property damages, The Town of Conway, as certificate holder, shall be given no less than ten (10) day's written notice for termination of said policy.
The manner, places and times of parking taxicabs shall be prescribed by the Chief of Police for the time being of said town,
137-7. Cruising to solicit business.
No taxicab operator shall cruise up and down the street to solicit business nor shall any taxicab operator or his/her agent solicit business on any public street or place other than parking places designated by the said Chief of Police for such taxicabs,
137-8. Conduct of operator.
No taxicab operator shall interfere in any way with the free passage of pedestrian or vehicular traffic while standing to solicit business or use ungentlemanly speech or conduct himself in an ungentlemanly manner.
137-9. Pick-up and discharge of passengers at curbs.
No taxicab operator shall stop to take on or discharge passengers on any street, square or public place except at the curb or as near thereto as reasonably possible.
137-10. Riding on outside of taxicab.
No person shall be permitted to sit or ride upon any fender, dash, step, running board, top or door of a taxicab.
137-11. Marking of taxicabs; applicability.
Every taxicab licensed as aforesaid shall be conspicuously marked as a public taxicab, and the name of the owner shall be conspicuously posted on a printed card in every such taxicab. This section shall not apply to vehicles used at funerals, weddings or public parades while so engaged.
137-12. Vehicles owned by hotels and inns.
This chapter does not include motor vehicles owned or operated by recognized hotels or inns for their bonafide guests.
137-13. Limitation on taxicab loads.
Taxicabs licensed under this chapter shall be limited to the manufacturer's rated carrying capacity or registered gross weight.
137-14. Revocation or suspension of licenses.
Upon a conviction of a violation by an operator licensed under this chapter, of this chapter or any other ordinance of the Town of Conway, or of any offense against the laws of the State of New Hampshire, the said Chief of Police may, in his/her discretion, suspend or revoke the license of any taxicab or taxicabs issued under this chapter to the owner (as defined in 137-5) of the taxicab operated by such operator, or any taxicab operator's license at the time of such conviction.
137-15. Violations and penalties.
Any person convicted of a violation of any provision of this chapter shall be punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) for the first offense; five hundred dollars ($500) for the second offense; loss of license for one year for the third offense. Offenses shall be cleared from the record after one year from the date on which the penalty was paid.